BLAESS™ was first established in Sydney, Australia in 1999 as a multi-disciplinary design studio.
Now based in central London, U.K. the core focus is on entrepreneurial joint venture partnerships deliver environmentally sustainable product solutions while utilising new technologies, materials innovations and design psychology.
Exposure and interest across a broad range of project typologies, manufacturing processes and materials research, provides BLAESS™ with a full understanding of core principles involved in technology, communications, engineering, materials, manufacturing processes, environmental sustainability and design psychology.
Cross-pollination and shared methodologies are employed where applicable to offer new solutions that artfully demonstrate balanced aesthetic, economic and environmentally aware solutions.
- Transport design
- Modular architectural building systems
- Industrial design
- Product manufacturing
- Furniture design & manufacturing
- Architectural design for private residences
- Super-prime private residential projects & multi-unit residential developments
- Hotel, hospitality, retail & commercial workplace design
- Branding design & environmental implementation
The opportunity to improve and innovate using design as a tool is paramount to the BLAESS™ philosophy.
We call it – design for human environments.
The Great Australian Bight, a remote and vast region in Australia that is home to indigenous Aboriginal Dreamtime and European first settlers. An area with outstanding natural beauty and contrast in every detail. A place that represents Steven’s spiritual home and where his unconscious understanding of a bigger world beyond expanded into a desire to learn, grow, help and create.
Steven’s design industry career spans nearly 30 years since he graduated with a Bachelor of Design in Human Environments in 1994. During this time, he won the 2 year ‘Woods Bagot Scholarship for Excellence in Interior Design’, which led him to travel and work in Hong Kong before returning to Australia to complete his degree.
Having self-funded his entire university tuition, Steven made absolute use of all the first-class learning resources available to him. From immersive research and general knowledge in the University Library learning about aerodynamics, to sneaking into lectures on Automotive & Industrial Design, Graphic Design to Glass Making studios on campus.
His work has been extensively manufactured and prototyped by global powerhouse brands such as Alessi, Edra Italy, Johnson&Johnson, Artemide, iGuzzini, Nemo Italiana Luce, Fratelli Guzzini, Crosswater and Victoria Beckham.
With exclusive designs for Alessi, 9 product typologies were developed (since 2001) with the Marli Bottle Opener being one of the longest running mass production items in their catalogue.
Through entrepreneurial business ventures Steven has and continues to develop new opportunities.
- For Johnson&Johnson (over a 5-year period), over 11 million units of injection moulded specialist personal hygiene products were designed, manufactured and delivered globally under his entrepreneurial brand, Pinkus-Blaess.
- Since 2005, Steven was at the forefront of design and development of mass-produced modular building panelling systems using landfill waste-to-panel technology with a German industrialist group.
- In 2010 with his eldest brother, he launched Maxim Clean&Pure utilising environmentally friendly encapsulation cleaning technologies to provide pH-neutral and fragrance-free range of cleaning products.
- In 2020, Edition Club was founded to utilise left over waste marble from Italian quarries to create unique limited edition furniture pieces.
- In 2020, Steven was invited as a founding member of MyChilde | Zero, a plastic free baby & child product manufacturer placed to revolutionise waste generated in this industry providing parents and carers with holistic green alternatives.
- BANCCI furniture manufacturing brand was founded in 2021 to create unique designs made using sustainable methods from material sourcing to production.
Furthering Steven’s educational and alumni associations, he has been an invited guest lecturer and public speaker to the University of South Australia, University of New South Wales, Sydney Institute of Technology, Design Institute of Australia to speaking at private practises in Australia and London.
Steven’s work has been acknowledged and listed with awards and accolades from organisations such as: Chicago Athenaeum Good Design Award Permanent Collection; Sydney Powerhouse Museum Permanent Collection; Olympic Games Sydney 2000 Torch Relay design competition Short List; Alessi Design Museum Permanent Collection; Country Road Australia Furniture Design Competition Winner.
His work has appeared in publications such as: Moleskine Le Mano Del Designer; & Fork by Phaidon; Design Now by Taschen; Young Asian Designers by Daab Germany; Dumbo Feather Australia; Casa Vogue Italy; Vogue living Australia; Wallpaper; Surface; AR Architectural Review Australia; Citizen K Paris; Belle Australia; World Architecture UK; New York Times and others.
The overriding theme throughout Steven’s career has been a dedicated focus on the environment, the health of our planet and the legacy. One which we will leave for our future generations via new product manufacturing research and processes.
Australand Developments Sydney
Australian Consulate General Dubai
Ballymore Group development projects London
Brashs Music Australia
British Foreign + Commonwealth Office
Central Bank of Kuwait
Chifley Tower Retail Group Sydney
CISCO Systems ME
Colgate Palmolive USA
Country Road Australia
Crosswater United Kingdom
Crown Holdings Melbourne Casino + Hotel Complex
Emery Vincent Sydney
Fratelli Guzzini Italy
Gelato Messina Australia
Goodbar Entertainment Group
Grange Securities Australia
Grosvenor House London
Hayson Group Australia
Her Majesty’s Court Service
Jonny Lu Studio London
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group Mayfair
Manhattan Loft Corporation
Mayfair Park Residences London
MyChilde | Zero
Naked Grape Wines
Nemo Italiana Luce
New South Wales Police Headquarters
One Hyde Park Residences
Penfold’s Wines Australia
Ridgeford Property London
Salomon Outdoor Equipment
Sydney Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games 2000
Spin Communications + Mercedes Australian Fashion Week
Sports Entertainment Limited
Space Island Group USA
Tantra Club Sydney
The Mansion Residences London
Victoria Beckham London
Wellcome Trust United Kingdon
Green Design Competition Dutch Design Week (DDW) +
Dutch Ministry Of Economic Affairs, Agriculture And Innovation Europe
Finalist – Waste To Panel Recycled Modular Building System
Good Design Award Chicago Athenaeum, Chicago, USA
Permanent Design Collection
Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia
Permanent Design Collection
Australian Dulux Colour Awards
Sydney 2000 Olympic Games Torch Relay Design
Finalist – From short list of three
Country Road Homeware Design Award
Winner – Furniture Category
Woods Bagot Scholarship
For Excellence in the Study of Interior Design
Winner – Corporate Identity Competition